Experience the joy of singing in a community of talented and dedicated women! WomenSing is always seeking experienced and skilled choral singers. We would love to have you join us for an exciting upcoming season.
Auditions for Fall 2023
When: August 17, 2022 from 6:15-10:00pm PT. Please be sure to schedule your appointment with the Director.
Where: Our Savior’s Lutheran Church – Chapel
1035 Carol Lane
Lafayette, CA 94549
What: 20 minutes, relaxed and enjoyable
- Q&A with the artistic staff about the group and your choral experience
- A little vocalization
- A few acapella scales
- A short sightreading passage
- Present a song of your choice (art song, aria, folk song, or choral excerpt). Remember to bring a copy of the music for the accompanist!
Who: Artistic Director Ofer dal Lal and Accompanist Paul Caccamo
How: Please complete this form or send an email to [email protected] expressing your interest in joining the group. The Director will provide you with a time slot, along with any further instructions. Feel free to ask any questions you might have then or during the audition.
- WomenSing requires proof of vaccination against COVID-19 to participate in the choir.
- We will wear masks while inside, at all rehearsals and performances, until no longer necessary. We recommend purchasing singer's masks that provide distance between your face and the mask for more comfort.
- We are taking additional precautions to keep our singers safe, such as distancing chairs between singers and rehearsing in a large indoor space with the doors and windows open at all times. The choir director, pianist, and other staff will be masked and safely distanced at each rehearsal.
Please refer to the WomenSing COVID-19 Policy for more information.
Get to Know Us
You can hear us online and review our recent repertoire.
Frequently Asked Questions About WomenSing
- Where and how long are the rehearsals?
- Does the group have practice material available?
- What if I need extra help learning the music?
- What other musical activities are expected of WomenSing members?
- Are members expected to volunteer?
- What is WomenSing looking for in new singers?
- Are there solo/small group opportunities?
- Do members have to re-audition?
- How much does it cost to sing with WomenSing?
- Do I need to buy a performance costume?
- Do I need to buy music?
- I’d like to sing with the group, but these expenses are too high for me.
Where and how long are the rehearsals?
WomenSing rehearses on Wednesday evenings from 7:15-9:45pm PT at Our Savior’s Lutheran Church (1035 Carol Lane) in Lafayette, California.
Does the group have practice materials available?
Our private database will give the singer access to sound files, score markings, pronunciation guides, translations, etc.
What if I need extra help learning the music?
In addition to the Wednesday night rehearsals, WomenSing offers sectionals held before the regular rehearsals, at 6:15pm, on a rotating basis. Section leaders also lead optional sectionals at members’ homes to help singers master pitches and rhythms.
What other musical activities are expected of WomenSing members?
As part of the regular concert season, workshops are held once per concert series where members work with a noted clinician. Past clinicians have included Libby Larsen, Joseph Jennings, and Charles Bruffy. Every other year an overnight weekend retreat is held (usually in late January). There are also opportunities for optional outreach performances and touring.
Are members expected to volunteer?
Chorus members also contribute to the smooth functioning of the organization by volunteering their skills in finance, publicity, marketing, development, organizational support and the like. An annual fundraiser is held in October. Participation in this fun and essential event is strongly encouraged.
What is WomenSing looking for in new singers?
First and foremost, WomenSing seeks team players who can commit to the high artistic standards we strive for. We seek experienced and skilled choral singers. Some sight-reading ability is desired, and willingness to learn the music in a timely fashion is required. We take our tag line (“the traditional and the unexpected”) seriously, meaning that the group performs some unusual contemporary music.
Are there solo/small group opportunities?
Yes. These opportunities vary widely depending on the program. Some will be auditioned and some will be assigned.
Do members have to re-audition?
Yes. Returning singers re-audition every three years on a rotation basis.
How much does it cost to sing with WomenSing?
Current tuition rates for New Singers are a sliding scale of $150-200 per semester for the first two semesters. After that, it's a sliding scale of $200-250 per semester.
Do I need to buy a performance costume?
Yes. The current costume consists of one of two jackets, a red one worn in the fall and a green one worn in the spring. The cost is approximately $90. The singer may choose to wear a black shell top, with black pants or a skirt.
Yes. Music costs $25 per semester.
I’d like to sing with the group, but these expenses are too high for me.
WomenSing offers scholarships to singers who need assistance with the costs of participating in the organization. Cost should never be a factor in your decision to participate. Please speak to the Audition Coordinator for more information.