A Mentoring Program for Young Composers
WomenSing is very excited to announce that Marjorie Halloran has been chosen as our young composer for the 2015-2016 season, our special 50th Anniversary Edition “Giving Voice to Women.” This season marks the seventh year of our Youth Inspiring Youth—Commissioning Emerging Composers (YIY–CEC) project. As our YIY–CEC winner, Marjorie will write a piece for WomenSing using a poem from the River of Words collection. During the composition process, she will be mentored by American composer and choral icon Alice Parker and Venezuelan composer Cristian Grases. This collaboration will culminate in a public workshop held in April 2016 as part of WomenSing’s Treble Voices Now (TVN) new music festival. There, the composer, her mentors, and the participating choirs will work together on the music, experimenting with and fine-tuning the composition in preparation for its premiere. Marjorie’s new work will be previewed at the TVN festival concert, and have its premiere in June 2016.
Marjorie Halloran is a San Francisco Bay Area-based composer and songwriter. Her compositions have been performed by Schola Cantorum of Los Altos, Resounding Achord of San Jose, and multiple ensembles at Vermont College of Fine Arts in Montpelier, VT. She has done arrangements for Homestead High School, Los Altos United Methodist Church, and Willow Glen United Methodist Church, among others.
In addition to being a composer, Marjorie is an accomplished choral singer. She has performed with dozens of different vocal ensembles in the Bay Area, Westminster Choir College in Princeton, NJ, and New York City. She served as the soprano section leader/assistant director for the Chamber Singers at UC Davis, where she received her bachelor’s degree in music theory/composition. She is the co-founder of the chorus and choral program at Vermont College of Fine Arts, where she is pursuing her master’s degree. Marjorie currently resides in Sunnyvale, CA.
Youth Inspiring Youth Commissions
Since the program began in 2008, WomenSing has commissioned the following compositions through the Youth Inspiring Youth program:
- Our Only Sun (2014). Music by Jordan Nelson, words by Sophie Anderson
- Poseidon’s Steeds (2014). Music by Chris Castro, words by Allegra Hyde
- Hay Un Rio Oscuro (2013). Music by Julia Seeholzer, words by Michelle Díaz Garza and Rosa Baum
- Isle of the Bless’d (2012). Music by Anastasia Pahos, words by Lindsay Ryder
- Reflections (2012). Music by Dale Trumbore, words by Lindsay Ryder
- Moon Songs (2011). Music by Nick Norton, words by various poets
- A Precious Pearl (2011). Music by Lauren McLaren, words by Mirabai Britton
- Sisyphean (2010). Music by Elizabeth Lim, words by Skyler Pham
- Unseen Secrets (2010). Music by Joshua Fishbein, words by Quinn Whitlow
- Sombra del Mar (2009). Music by Jack Henry, words by Alejandro Yañez
- Wit and Fright (2009). Music by Ryan Harper, words by Eric Pierson